Slot machines are called a number of things. For instance, in the American English version, this type of casino machine is known simply as the “slot machine”. However, in Australian English, the machine is called a “poker machine” ad in British English, a “fruit machine”. Regardless of the name, the concept is the same – a type of gambling machine in which coins are used to rotate three or more reels.
Nicknamed the “one armed bandit”, slot machines must have the reels match according to the game, at which time winnings are paid depending on the match. For instance, one game may require three cherries to show up on the reel to win $1, three pineapples for $5, and three oranges for $10, and so on. As you make your way through a casino, wandering into the slot machine area, you will see every possible game. Although the machines themselves may appear similar with flashing lights, a pull-down lever on the right-hand side, and buttons with a display on the front, the games and payouts vary dramatically.
You will find some slot machines costing .25 to play while others cost $1 or more. The slot machines that require more money generally pay out higher winnings. However, before you play any slot machine, it is imperative that you take time to read the instructions, requirements, and payout schedule to determine your best odds, thus choosing the right game. In addition to looking at the coin denomination required to play, you want to take time to understand the various types of machines. The following are some of the slot machines that you would encounter.
* Multiplier – For this type of slot machine, the payout would be made on a specific symbol, as well as the number of coins played, which multiplies the payout amount. For instance, if you put in three coins to get three matching cherries, the machine would pay out six coins. Although you can play the maximum number of coins allowed by the machine, the multiplier slot machine is best played if you play just one coin at a time.
* Bonus Multiplier – Similar to the multiplier slot machine, the bonus multiplier machine pays out the same but also a bonus when the maximum number of coins is played and the jackpot hit. For example, getting three “7s” on the reel might pay 500 coins for a one-coin play, 1,000 coins when you play two coins and 5,000 coins when the maximum three coins are played. Although hitting the bonus happens, you have to determine if playing the third coin warrants the risk.
* Multiple Payline – With this type of slot machine, you would find the reel offering more than one line of play. For instance, each coin played would activate a line. Therefore, if you were to hit a winner on a line that was not activated, you would not win. Typically, casinos use the newer model, which has up to nine pay lines although some of the older machines only have three.
* Buy-a-Pay – This particular type of slot machine is a little more complex than others are. In this case, each coin played would activate a different pay out. Therefore, to hit the biggest jackpot, the maximum number of coins would have to be played. For instance, some slot machines will pay out on bars, sevens, and cherries. If you hit the sevens, you would hit big but this requires you to play the maximum number of coins. However, if only one coin is played, you would only collect on the cherries but if two coins were played, you would win on both cherries and bars. This means if you were to play just one coin while hitting all sevens on the reel you win nothing. Therefore, to make any real money, you would always have to play the maximum number of coins allowed.
* Progressive Slot Machines – This slot machine is different from others in that a percentage of the money played goes into a pool for a large jackpot. Many times, you will find casinos with linked slot machines, which means multiple players are all putting money into the pot and trying to win the jackpot. To win the mega jackpot, the maximum number of coins must be played. While lesser coins can be used, the payout would be less. For instance, while the jackpot might be $20,000 for three coins played, someone hitting the jackpot with just one coin may only walk away with $2,000.